The Importance of Shredding Documents to Secure School Record Management
While planning to dispose of non-usable documents, the prime work is to shred the papers to safeguard important valuable information. It is even legal requirement to destroy the earlier records. In educational institutes, it is mandatory to hire a paper shredding service to properly dispose of documents to follow FERPA law.
Normally various methods are applied to shred the non-usable records and documents in educational places. It helps in cleaning the premises and make space for new documents. This has to be done by following certain rules. According to reputed document shredding Houston firms, shredding educational based records is important.
Here are few successful strategies used by educational units to shred documents:
- Schedule the time of shredding – It will help in planning well to gather the receipts, records of students and other unwanted documents.
- Consider whether you prefer to visualize the shredding or not. Watching the shredding process will help you know whether the process has been done according to what you want. Mobile shredding is an onsite option that is quite helpful to watch the shredding process as well as additional security. Off-site shredding is convenient as reputed shredding service providers do it in a perfect way considering total security.
- Can do purge shredding for disposing of old documents gathered in large amount. It can be done through off-site as well as onsite paper shredding facilities. Off shredding will be beneficial if it is in large quantity of records and documents need to be disposed.
What kind of records of educational board need to be shred according to FERPA?
- Health records of students.
- Finance and account details like payment receipts of early years.
- Student’s course papers such as their project files even answer papers and subject-related files.
- Personal information of students passed out from the educational institute.
You can adopt any kind of shredding service as per your requirement. It will be beneficial to scan the documents and verify before you schedule the whole lot to be shredded to dispose of. Presently, many educational institutes adopt paperless documentation, however, the student’s academic accomplishment, their journals, and records take a lot of space required to be disposed of correctly.